Ease the Aches & Pains: Nutritional Supplements & Osteoarthritis Pain Management.
In a study released by the Agency for Healthcare Research and Quality, it was found that 1 in 10 adults in the U.S. receive treatment for arthritis pain (over 20 million people!). Osteoarthritis, the most common form of joint disease, is often caused by the degeneration of a joint due to aging, acute or chronic trauma, or certain metabolic conditions.
For those that suffer from osteoarthritis, the search for pain relief can be frustrating and confusing. While there are many prescription medications available to slow damage and to alleviate symptoms, a growing number of people are turning to nutritional supplements for long-term benefits.
The function of supplements to treat osteoarthritis pain varies; however, it usually includes one of the following: to ease pain and stiffness, prevent or slow further joint erosion, reduce inflammation, or promote the growth of healthy cartilage.
Osteoarthritis Powerhouse Supplements
Quality is key! Not all supplements are created equal. Many supplements that you find at your local drugstore or supermarket contain small amounts of active ingredients, or unneeded fillers and preservatives. Buy quality supplements for the maximum benefit. When choosing a supplement to address osteoarthritis symptoms, look for products that contain the following ingredients.
- MSM: Provides sulfur needed for the structural integrity of joint cartilage and connective tissue. Lessens nerve impulses that transmit pain.
- Glucosamine: Is a building block of joint cartilage and may improve cartilage structure and tendon healing.
- Chondroitin: Taken with Glucosamine, helps support connective tissue renewal and prevent further damage.
- Hyaluronic Acid: Is a natural lubricating component of joint fluid and connective tissues throughout the body. Joints need to stay lubricated!
- Fish Oil: Specifically Omega-3 fatty acids, EPA and DHA, fight joint-damaging enzymes and reduce inflammation and stiffness.
Nutritional supplements can interact with medications and certain physical conditions. Make sure to talk to you healthcare practitioner prior to incorporating any new supplements into your diet. For additional information about supplements, compounded topical pain management formulations, or to speak to a pharmacist about incorporating supplements into your diet, contact College Pharmacy directly.
Nutritional Supplement Center
College Pharmacy offers a unique one-stop shopping experience by providing pharmaceutical-grade nutritional supplements in addition to our comprehensive pharmacy services. College Pharmacy’s online nutritional supplement center offers many hard-to-find, exclusive, or specialty supplements…as well as many pharmaceutical-grade professional supplement lines that are not readily available in many communities. Click here to visit College Pharmacy’s Online Nutritional Supplement Center.
Ask a Pharmacist
Get the answers you need
from our trusted specialists.